Clients often ask us how they can better organize their lives – especially when the Spring weather finally arrives. The answer is always pretty simple: start with the basics! Implement systems that will work for you. This way, they will actually stick!
Here are some tips on how to get started:
- Introduce a monthly purge. Most of us purge our closet once or twice a year. It can be really time-consuming and daunting on this schedule. The trick is to stay on top of it. If you purge monthly, you only need to get rid of a few items which will take a fraction of the time and help you stay on top of an organized space. TOP TIP: For those with small kids who are constantly outgrowing their clothes, keep a black garbage bag in their closet and as soon as an item of clothing is too small, toss it in the bag. Once the bag is full, throw it in your car and drop it off at the donation box of your choice.
- File your papers daily. If you haven’t done this one already, then you really need to get on it. Thankfully, most files can be kept electronically, but, for those that are printed, it’s great to have a system in place. Head to your local office supply store, and purchase some file folders and labels. Create folders for your tax documents, personal info, for warranties and receipts, etc. Eventually, you have a great system set up that makes everything easier to find and saves you time.
- Embrace the quiet. Nowadays, there is so much distraction everywhere we go. When is the last time you turned off your phone or didn’t check your email for a couple of hours? In an effort to tune out some noise, you could try signing up for a yoga class or go for a tech-free walk. You could also read a book or cook your favourite meal while enjoying a glass of wine. Most importantly, do it in silence. It might be an odd feeling at first, but it will help you get the proper rest and rejuvenation that we are all craving.
Don’t forget about your body:
- Focus on your fitness. Fitness is a priority in my life, and one way to keep it top of mind is to keep routines fresh and interesting. It isn’t just about changing up your cardio/strength training. Take advantage of the beautiful weather that is finally here and sign up for a 10K race. Alternatively, take up a sport you’ve always wanted to try. Go ahead and give yourself a new goal to focus on. We dare you!
- Sleep more. It’s simple, just do it! We don’t need the research to tell us that longer periods of sleep help our bodies restore, rejuvenate, grow muscle, repair tissue, and synthesize hormones. There is a great feature on most phones now to help with this. First, you decide how many hours of sleep you want to get, then set an alarm on your phone for that amount of time, and your phone will then alert you when you should get ready for bed. Use it!
And here’s a bonus tip for your Spring Clean:
- Take a look at your relationships. The busier life gets the more complicated it is, and this includes relationships. Give your current relationships some proper thought. Are there some that cause you stress? This is a great starting point to remove negativity from your life. One thing we have learned in the past year is how important it is to surround yourself with like-minded people and those that will support you and help lift you up. Give yourself permission to let go of the ones that don’t lift you up.
Let us know which tips you’re going to try and how it works out. We’d love to hear it. Wishing you a happy Spring!